'Olelo No'eau

"He wa'a, he moku; he moku, he wa'a" - P. Lincoln, Makali'i Capt.

A canoe is an island; an island is a canoe. This is a mana'o we should remember of our kupuna that they did whatever they could to survive in any situation. They navigated from Kahiki to Hawai'i nei and their wa'a was their home, their 'aina, for months. Today, we only have enough imported goods to last the State of Hawai'i four days! E mana'o pu kakou!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Papa Mau Piailug

One of the greatest people to ever give pride to my Hawaiian people has left the Earth that we walk on.

Papa Mau Piailug is a Pwo from the Island of Satawal.  He leaves behind a legacy not just for his people, but for all cultures of Moananuiākea (a.k.a. Pacific Ocean) of our modern times.  I never had the opportunity to meet Papa Mau, but I know quite a few people who did know him personally and his effect on them certainly came across to me and many other Polynesians.

As I went to sleep the night of the news, I couldn't help but to think again about everything I've learned.  And as I woke up the next day and revisited this blog about you, Papa Mau, I couldn't help but to tear up.  You come from an island at the other end of Moananuiākea, yet you went against your culture and taught my people, Hawaiʻi, how to navigate again.  I don't care what people say about Hawaiians learning navigation from someone else, the point is that we are looking to our origins.  Papa Mau, you helped to spark a whole new generation of Polynesians to remember the past.  As the title says in my last blog, "No Hea Mai ʻOe?"..."where are you from?"  From our dormant state, you woke us up and got us thinking.  As a dear kumu of mine from Maui Community College told me, "I have seen this generation grow up and you guys are definitely ready to take over from us."  And as I cry remembering that moment, I can only come to one conclusion, Kumu and Papa Mau are RIGHT!  Whether my generation wants to or not, but the kuleana is being passed onto us at this very moment.

To honor your legacy, Papa Mau, here is a hula Hawaiʻi dedicated to you from my Kumu Hula and my hālau hula, Ka Pā Hula o Ka Lei Lehua.

*By the way, embedding is disabled, but go ahead and click play and the link will say "Watch on YouTube"...follow that and the video will work*

Merrie Monarch 2007; Hilo, Hawaiʻi; Kāne ʻAuana Division


*Further reading of Pwo*
Pwo is the ranking of a master navigator in Satawal.  Not only can a Pwo read the stars, read the ocean currents, read the weather, but Pwo also knows how to survive on the canoe from fishing, cleaning, repairs.  If a sail had a tear, the Pwo knew how to weave to fix it.  Along with things at sea, the Pwo also knew how to mālama and hoʻoulu all the plants used in the canoe from the wood used for the waʻa to all the tools that are made from rocks and other natural cords.  *HWST 281/282; UH Mānoa; Kumu Pua Lincoln*

No comments:

Post a Comment