'Olelo No'eau

"He wa'a, he moku; he moku, he wa'a" - P. Lincoln, Makali'i Capt.

A canoe is an island; an island is a canoe. This is a mana'o we should remember of our kupuna that they did whatever they could to survive in any situation. They navigated from Kahiki to Hawai'i nei and their wa'a was their home, their 'aina, for months. Today, we only have enough imported goods to last the State of Hawai'i four days! E mana'o pu kakou!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Mauʻumae Trail

One of the beautiful things of Oʻahu isn't only the City of Honolulu.  Before Wednesday, August 18, 2010, I have never heard of Mauʻumae Trail.  This trail is located on the right side of Pālolo Valley and it takes you along the top of the mountain ridge.  I have gone on a few hiking trails on Oʻahu, but this is by far the most difficult I had to do, but it was one of the most awe inspiring.

(Photo: Kaipo Tam/August 18, 2010/Mauʻumae Trail looking over Pālolo Valley)

As a part of our orientation in the Hoʻokulāiwi, Masters of Education-Teaching program, on the third day, we were brought to do this trail.  I was brought by Hawaiians to this trail and throughout this hike we spoke ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi.  A part of me felt like we brought some life back to this area, even though our kumu have gone on this hike numerous times before, I felt that our presence and our ʻŌlelo helped to give back to our kūpuna on that mountain.  To let them know that we are still here and still fighting and still showing love to them.

(Photo: Kaipo Tam/August 18, 2010/Mauʻumae Trail looking over Pālolo.  Waikīkī and Helumoa are in the far background.)

What made this hike so difficult was the walking up and down three hills along this ridge to get to our destination which was 2 miles in and a lot of parts along this trail were steep.  But I had to persevere and finish the hike in and back out.  When things became really difficult for me and I was ready to give up, I honestly uttered a short prayer in Hawaiian to ask for help from nā akua and nā kūpuna, and what do you know...every time I asked for help, a gentle, cool breeze came through pushing me in the direction we were going in.

(Photo: Kaipo Tam/August 18, 2010/Mauʻumae Trail looking over Pālolo.  Leʻahi (Diamond Head) in the background, viewing the back of the mountain.)

The view along this trail was incredible and the amount of lāʻau Hawaiʻi I saw up there were just as awesome.  I was meant to be up here and I am definitely going on the right path to my future by being in this graduate program with these persevering Hawaiians, who I can call my colleagues in a couple of years.  I won't forget this hike and I remember why I do what I do for my people.

"...When Kākuhihewa saw that there was peace under the rule of Kalelealuaka...he left Kapuaikaula in Puʻuloa (Pearl Harbor) and moved to Mauʻumae at Waiʻalae, on the other side of Kaimukī, facing Maunalua.  There he lived until he died.

Kalelealuaka
      Ke Au Hou, Dec. 14, 1910
      Oʻahu Places"

This is an excerpt from Sites of Oʻahu by Elspeth P. Sterling & Catherine C. Summers.  Page 276.

1 comment:

  1. Nani ka nanea o na kii au i pai ai. Mahalo no kou manao, a me kau hoike ana mai ia makou i kou haahaa, o ia hoi ka hilahila ole i ka pule i mea e holomua.

    ReplyDelete